Saturday, October 05, 2013

Going All the Way: My Experience with "No-Poo"

Okay, confession time. So, I was really focused on eating right and being healthy that I've lost sight of what was going on outside my body. Can you relate? Well, when it comes to food I feel like everyone deserves REAL nutrition and none of that artificial, full-of-preservative, GMO stuff. Once my healthy habits became a true lifestyle for me I noticed that I changed. My toothpaste tasted like chemical poison, perfume that I used to wear on special occasions gave me an instant migraine, and my normal moisturizer started to burn my skin a little. Suddenly, I felt like Cher from the movie Clueless where she's standing in front of a fountain and realizes, " Oh my God, I love Josh."

My symbolic fountain bursted up and I realized that I wasn't so "natural" after all. My skin deserves the same treatment my inner organs do! It was time for a change. So, similar to Cher, I took all the products I didn't want/need and gave them to people could use it. It was sad parting with all the pricey Aveda products that I used to be so happy purchasing, thinking they were oh-so-good for me. But I'm super happy that it went to people who couldn't afford anything that came in a luxurious rosemary mint scent.

The very first thing I decided to change was my shampoo. I researched high and low and I stumbled (can one stumble via internet?) across this pH Balancing Shampoo Recipe. It's SO simple and SO easy.
From what I've read the pH balance in your scalp is important because it helps prevent hair loss, dandruff and bacterial growth. This recipe is better than using castile water soap because it has a higher pH than your scalp naturally does. I never felt like I had a scalp problem but looking back I always kept 3 sets of different shampoos and conditioners because it seemed when one of them started to bother me, the other would make it feel better. I thought it was normal for your hair products to stop working when your hair got 'used to it.' I've only been using this recipe for a month but I love it and I promise to post updates on it so if you decide to try it, you know what you're getting into.

Before researching what was best for my hair, I had never heard of "No-Poo" in my life. Just saying the word "Poo" while referring to my hair seemed gross but I got over that real quick and started it right away.

Before I tell you my experience with this, it is SO important to know about the Transition Period aka Detox Phase that Robin mentions in the link above that went away after 4 uses for her. While your hair is getting used to being naturally beautiful without all the foreign products that you thought you absolutely needed, it may look really greasy at the roots. It will look like you either forgot to fully distribute your gel in the rest of your hair or like you didn't wash your hair in a few days. I rocked out many varieties of these looks for TWO WEEKS (so worth it). I personally feel that this shampoo may not be the best for oily prone hair, but you really don't know what your hair is really like until you've fully detoxed. Oh, and your hair won't smell gross. Woo!

During the transition period, these are some of the things that may help:

  • Brushing your hair often to help bring the moisture from the scalp to the roots (I have long curly hair so I didn't)
  • Cute head bands (I got some on sale at Tilly's)
  • French braiding
  • Just tossing it up into a messy bun (use cute headband)
It'll feel heavy at the roots and you'll want to touch it but I recommend not doing so. If you're out and about touching things on dusty store shelves, for example, then putting that accidentally into your hair will make it smell dirty.

Enough with the disclaimers!

pH Balancing Shamoo:

  • 1 can of Coconut Milk
  • 1 3/4 cups of Aloe Vera
Right now I'm using the Aloe Farms one because that's what I had on hand for the baby wipes I make, but I'm going to try the Lily of the Desert next. At first I didn't want to buy from Lily because one of their types of Aloe contains carrageenan (I know I'm not eating the shampoo but I'm still against it). That's the coconut milk that I use in the picture but I know a lot of people recommend this one also. There's always the option of making it yourself!

Directions: Mix ingredients together and pour into molds to freeze. After shampoo is frozen, you can keep them in there or put them in a baggie to store in the freezer. Easy peezy.



You can use ice cube trays like Robin beautifully showed in her photos. I used the two freezing trays for baby food that I have on hand. Using my trays, I know each pod (is what I call them) is 2oz each and is good for about 3 washings (for me). This makes 12 pods and should last me 2-3 months. I think they look pretty cool. They should last me 2 months but I'll update on that when I know for sure.



To use: The day before shampooing, place a cube/pod in a container in the fridge so it is at least slightly melted. Lather a quarter size into scalp and ends then rinse! There will be no bubbles so don't scrub hard for them. You can let it sit if you'd like. No conditioner is needed.

Sometimes I forget to take it out and I'll just use it frozen. I'll put the frozen pod in my hand (which hurts sometimes) and let the warm shower water melt it onto my scalp. The coldness let's me feel that I got it all over my scalp. When I do remember to thaw it out, I put a nickel size into my palm and massage it in sections so I know it's on the entire scalp evenly...but I'm weird so you may just want to do it normally. Then, I use a comb to bring it to the ends and rinse while massaging it out. Since I have hard-to-manage hair I just wrap it up in a towel while it's still super wet and take it down after I put on my moisturizers. Oh yeah, and don't forget to put it back in the fridge! 

Don't use this shampoo everyday. I use it 3 times per week and just rinse with water other times. Once a week I use an Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse as a quick conditioner. It's just 1/4 cup ACV and 3/4 cup filtered water.

Results: Since I started using this method a little over a month ago I have noticed that my curls are more uniform. They are now all about the same tension whereas it seemed like each curl used to have a mind of its own. I called them Medusa Curls. I used to really love using all my products and styling with a blow drier and straightener but now I'm in love with my soft, natural curls. They look like the beach curl style that I used to try so hard to get with the diffuser. I know the color is nasty, I got it colored ombre style at Aveda a while back. I'll have my hubby take more pics soon so you can see the rest of my hair.

 Well I hope that was of some use to you! I'll be sure to post updates and other sites about this recipe if I come across any. If you decide to try this, please be patient with the transition. Once you get past it you (and your hair) will be so happy and naturally beautiful. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment